More than 300 students and few teachers were rushed to hospital in Delhi’s Tughlaqabad area on Saturday morning after they complained of irritation in eyes.
The students of the Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya near the customs area of Tughlaqabad are said to have complained of irritation in eye, and some even fainted, after they reached school on Saturday morning.
Fumes emanating from a chemical container is said to have caused the irritation. Police too said chemical leakage in the area was the reason.
“Local police, fire department and ambulance teams reached the spot and took the students to a nearby hospital. They are reported normal,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (South East) Romil Baaniya.
One of the school’s teachers who did not wish to be named told The Hindu that some of the students have been discharged after treatment and sent home. Meanwhile, the school has been temporarily shut.
According to Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, the students are fine.
He said that he has ordered the area district magistrate and SDM to launch a probe into the gas leakage incident at the container depot.“We received complaints about pain and related issues with their eyes by 85 students and got them admitted to three big hospitals located in the vicinity. I have spoken to the students and doctors, they are now fine. I have directed the district magistrate to investigate the incident.”
“There was an exam in the school which we have cancelled following the incident,” the Deputy Chief Minister said.
Meanwhile, Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda directed the Centre-run hospitals to be ready to help the gas leak victims.
“Central GoI hospitals have been instructed to be ready to help all victims of Delhi gas leak incident. My prayers are with children & families,” Mr. Nadda tweeted.
More than 40 students were admitted to the Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals. According to the hospital statement, the patients — 42 children and one adult — were immediately managed by a multi-disciplinary team. Therapeutic interventions as per clinical requirements were administered and all patients are in a stable condition.